Pages

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Apology: Not as epic as Plato's

Dear "Those" Guys of the world,

With my last blog installment, I never intended to terribly offend or degrade your position of honor within our complex and lackadaisical society.  My post was merely for educational purposes so that those of you out there who wish to cease being "That" Guy could identify the things to change and correct in your behaviors.  I hope my apology is sufficient in absolving our differences so we can continue to coexist in the world.

Sincerely,

drh


Fun Fact: Apparently an announcement was made over TGN ("That" Guy Network) about my last blog, and resulted in a call to action.  It has led to an amassing of forces which is unlike that of any other seen before on this Earth. Spanish Armada of 1588, assault on the beaches of Normandy, and the invasion of Iraq pale in comparison to the this collection of troops.  Composed of elderly drivers, naive teenagers (read as "stupid, insolent kids"), and non-observant individuals from across the world, I have been ambushed by  an overwhelming force of incompetence while driving and performing daily activities.  So much so that I must recant my last blog.  Please let this be the end of the onslaught because I cannot take much more of this vicious crusade.

Pretty please? With a cherry on top?

Since you now know about what it is I must endure in order to reach work each and every morning, it seems only fair that I tell you a bit about where I work and what I do.

I work for a company that works on industrial equipment. We re-fabricate older machines and then sell them to other companies who need those pieces of equipment, and my job is to tear them apart so they can be painted and worked on by the folks who make them work.  It goes without saying that my job is grimy, dirty and a bit nasty. Ironically, I'm totally OK with that. By the time I go back into work on Monday morning, my hands and fingers have finally lost the black hue which covers them every other day of the week, only to get re-covered by 9AM that day. It's a nice change of pace from all the other kind of work I've ever done, but my favorite part of the job is when we move things around the warehouse. That's when I get to go ahead and act like a twelve year old kid and just climb all over anything and everything to find a spot to place a 4,000 lbs welding apparatus. Let me put this simply: I get paid, to run around and relive my youth while everyone else has to do actual work. Joke's on them!

What I enjoy most are the reactions which I receive once I leave work at the end of the day, and go out into the world. Covered in rust, dirt, and grease, the mere sight of me is enough to shock most anyone who feels like they make an honest living, and then they hear me say something other than, "I"m a drunk haggard that enjoys playing in puddles of machine oil."  I watch peoples' minds burst as the smoke rolls out from their ears.  So the moral of the story is: Don't shake my hand or give me a hug after work until I've gotten a shower, it's in your best interest.

Hope everyone is doing well! My next blog will be the first installment for a short story.  Intriguing, I'm sure. Otherwise, thanks for the continued support seven blogs into this exercise!

No comments:

Post a Comment