Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

High School: What to do with My Life

Fun Fact: Many strategists believed that if the Cold War was going to develop into a "hot" war, it would occur over Canada.


True Story: During the Cold War, the United States believed that the USSR would send its bomber fleet during the 1950's and early 1960's over the Arctic Circle, and positioned several Air Force installations in the northern states of the Union. Glamorous places like Alaska, Montana, North Dakota, and Minnesota became hotbeds of activity.  The Air Force established several interceptor squadrons at those northern bases and armed them, rather conveniently, with nuclear tipped missiles.  Their job was to scream up to the Arctic Circle and intercept the vast fleets of Soviet Bombers coming to bomb the US (of A), and shoot a (nuclear tipped) missile into the middle of the formation of bombers to knock them out of the sky.  Now, if you're wondering "Now wait a second, wouldn't that mean that this would all take place over Canada?", you'd be correct. Needless to say, the Canadians were none to happy about the perception of a Nuclear World War III.


Does that have any relevance on the rest of my blog? I guess, but not too much other than the fact that I'm pretty much a hopeless history geek with lots of pointless stories and quips.  In high school I held, for the better part of three years, the idea that I'd go to college for biochemistry or biochemical engineering.  I ended up going to school for history.  During high school I had a laden hope and desire to eventually continue on and becoming a doctor of some sort because I believed that's what successful people did. Three different things culminated in dislodging me from that presumption and launched me into a field which I enjoyed rather than thought was profitable. 


The first of these events was my Advanced Placement United States History class that I took my junior year.  As cliche it may be at this point to say that certain people and classes change your life, this one truly did for me.  That class overcame a tragedy which to this day effects the West side of Cincinnati, and brought those of us in the class together in a very unique way. I cannot talk about this class though without mentioning the teacher who made that experience endurable, positive, and refused to neglect the events which happened.  This man inspired me and mentored me through some of those moments in my life which I had to grow up quickly and painfully.  For him, I'm forever grateful and appreciative of his impact.


Second in this list was a moment that has been imprinted in my mind since the moment it happened. For the greater part of my life, I've always thought or dreamed of joining the military, and then there was September 11, 2001.  Many people describe this as the defining moment of a generation, of geopolitical relations, and of human history.  For me, and the days which followed, it embedded a sense of duty which I already felt having growing up in such a tradition already.  One morning while my Pop drove me to school (mind you I was in the seventh grade), I quite frankly told him that after high school I wanted to join the military. He rather eloquently said, "To hell you are."  The discussion ended with him relenting that if I still felt that way when I was 18, we could discuss the issue further then.  I started high school and it quickly became evident to me that college wasn't an option but the expectation for me, so to pursue the military had to be framed within that context.  Having talked to my Pop again when I was older we discovered that ROTC was an alternative I could follow, and some would say the rest is "history."


The third thing which swayed my interest from becoming a doctor of any kind was the life which I  lived while growing up.  By the time I was 18, I was a seasoned pro of emergency rooms, intensive care units, and telemetry floors of so many different Greater Cincinnati hospitals, that I knew nurses and doctors by name (and they knew mine). Becoming a doctor loses its allure when you've played an amateur MD during your childhood.  I often startle med students, residents, nurses and doctors alike when I chip into the medical consultation from the corner of chair in an ER room.  After so many years, you become tired of such things  because even if it isn't someone you're immediately connected to as the patient, it often resembles or reminds you of your own life.


So here I am, with a BA in history and a commission in the military with the intent of providing that which I've received so much of during my life: mentoring.  Responsibility is not only defined by what one's tasks are to be completed, but doing the right thing to ensure that the task can be completed each time it needs to be. That can be extrapolated to mean that plans are left to follow for the next time, or making sure that someone who works for or with you has the opportunity to attend training, attend to their families, or attend to their personal needs, so that they can perform the task next time.  Responsibility is cyclical and should be viewed as such, and that is what I didn't understand fully until recently.


Next blog will capture about how I've slowly realized and endured the harsh realities that growing up needs to take place, and that responsibilities cannot be shirked or ignored because they make one uncomfortable.


Thank you everyone for the positive response so far everyone! I appreciate your feedback in any form it comes. Hope everyone in the Cincy area is enjoying the beautiful weather and that you all have had a great start to the week!


drh





1 comment: